Saturday, June 4, 2011

This is me, procrastinating


So this is what I've been doing the last few evenings instead of homework. It's not that I don't like school, and don't obsess over my grades... it's just that I'm really tired of it all right now. Sign Language Interpreter training is full of the drama, and has the craziest summer term I've ever even heard of. I shall stop whining now, and speak of the knitting.

I've finished three and a half repeats of the body chart, and it's going quite well. That is, if you don't count the total of about two full rows that I've had to tink back, a few stitches at a time.

This is actually the first time I've ever seriously knit lace (There's been lacy patterns on socks, but it's definitely not the same.) and I'm learning a lot. Namely, the fact that I do not know jack. I had to learn how to read a lace chart, with particular attention to the fact that if I don't know what the big red circled parts of the chart mean, maybe I should find out before jumping in with both feet.

I'm quite liking the pattern. It looks a little like the cat's dinner, but I understand that's normal for a lace shawl. I'm also seeing the potential for how it will look after being finished and blocked. I think it's going to work quite well. I'm sure the picture looks like a mess, but I think it's going pretty well.
The dreaded nupps aren't even causing me any trouble. Perhaps I'll come back and post more information on how I'm doing them, since they seem to be a major issue for some people.

Finally, this project has inspired me to go out and spend some money on something I thought I was finished buying: stitch markers. I've been using a variety of things on this project; the safety pin style markers, plain metal jump rings, jump rings with a bead glued over the join, and snagless stitch markers. I have determined that the last of these items is that thing I didn't realize I desperately needed more of. The safety pins are big and awkward in lace, the jump rings catch constantly on the yarn, and even the beaded rings are just a little awkward to move from one needle to the other. The snagless rings? None of these problems, or any others that I've had. So off I went tonight to make another purchase from Seeking Sanity on Etsy. The ones I already have from her are amazing, and owning more will make this project easier.

On one last related note: No, I'm not getting anything for free, have no association with anyone I've ever linked on this blog, and am not being paid by anyone, for anything. It'd be nice, but it's not gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment