Monday, March 26, 2012

The low road, it is where I live.

So I tried, really I did, to give my Pogona a highbrow name that reflected the source of its pattern. But as it knit up, the thing that kept running through my mind was that the specific hues were reminiscent of a cartoon that was on when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to watch cartoons, but it didn't stop me from knowing of them, and well... My poor Pogona, named initially with the best of intentions, is now my Rainbow Brite Shawl, simply because I cannot think of it by another name any longer.

Here's where it is right now:

And I'm quite pleased with how it's going. As stated in the project notes, I found a missed YO early on, so my reverse stockinette sections are 19,19,18, and 19 stitches. Normally, I would have flipped out and frogged all the way back to the missed YO, but frankly, I can't be brought to do something so nutty just now. I mean, really, is anyone going to notice but you and me? Not a chance. Do either of us care? Didn't think so.

I'm planning on doing the whole violet section in garter, even though it'll be a little more garter than called for in the pattern. I just think it'll look better that way.

As for spinning, I finally finished the nearly month long project that was sucking up all of my time. First, I got myself some merino, 8oz. Non-superwash, because yes I am insane. And then I did my first acid dye job. Basically, since I had no previous experience, it was a matter of dumping a bunch of dye in with water, immersing the already wet fiber into it, letting it heat up, adding vinegar, and letting it cook for a while. (I did wear a mask and gloves, for anyone worried that I'm either stupid or suicidal) Then I let it cool on its own, put it through the spin cycle in my washer, and let it dry for a few days. And then, still being insane, I decided that I would spin it as thin as I could, and two ply it, trying for a lace weight. Somehow, I succeeded. I've spun up only the first 3.6 oz, so I have a lot more, but what I have so far is 700 yards of my favorite yarn ever.

Here it is, please love it as much as I do:
It's far from perfect, there are definitely thicker and thinner parts, but I adore it like I want to knit with it right this minute and I should drop everything to do so and let's see how long I can make a horrible run-on sentence... Anyway, it's super soft, and it bloomed like crazy after washing, and I'm disgustingly proud of it.

Anyway, off to knit some more. Hope you've all had as good a week as I have!

1 comment: