Saturday, March 31, 2012

This is the definition of irony

I know that a lot of people use this word incorrectly, and I know how it annoys "English people" - that is, pedantic people who obsess over the usage of the English language.

Yes, I confess, I am often one of these people. Particularly when I see someone use 'too' and 'to' interchangeably. I don't claim to be the end-all, be-all superior source of English grammar knowledge, but seriously, if you've graduated American High School and can't figure out the difference between "too much of a good thing" and "to be or not to be", you deserve whatever insults you get.

Here's what I'm talking about, straight from Wikipedia, which you know is always right:

"Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)[1] is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. There is presently no accepted method for textually indicating irony, though an irony (punctuation) mark has been proposed."

So what is my irony?

Okay, so you know how I was saying that I would make the last bit of my Pogona in garter stitch? Yeah, The previous six sections of the shawl had taken a minimum of ten rows, and since I spun the darned stuff myself, and since the violet had seemed to take the longest, I figured it would be the biggest section. I never imagined that the violet would take less than eight or ten rows. So when I started the violet section, I went into garter stitch... and two rows later, I found myself running low on wool.

Buh?

I weighed, and made another row, and realized that if I made any more, I would definitely run out of wool. I didn't know why, but still, I started binding off. About 3/4 of the way through bind off, I ran out of wool. Wow. Okay, first of all, it's sad how much I overestimated this section because of being burned out on spinning the same wool. Secondly... I did NOT want to frog back and bind off earlier.

What to do?

I went through my stash and found that I had very little bright violet to finish with. However, on my second attempt, I found something: a mini-skein sent to me by play at life fiber arts when I ordered some rainbow sock yarn, that was a very close mix of the indigo and violet colors I was using. After finishing the bind off in this, it's quite hard to tell the difference. I know how awful this is to read without any pictures, but I swear, a picture will be up soon. It's just that my lovely finished pogona is blocking right this minute. It's exactly as I pictured it, if vaguely annoying in the bind off department.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing it. It sounds awesome. And I personally twitch when "loose" and "lose" are interchangeably used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that one is frustrating, too. Like chose/choose. two 'o's makes it a different word, people!

    Sorry, my inner English nerd is showing.

    Thanks for dropping by the blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete